I can't stand the rain . . .

There are so many ways to bide your time . . . in a kayak.

Paddling in the rain is one of them.

Although, most people stay indoors and moan, "I can't stand the rain", rain can be pretty pleasant in a kayak. Especially if you are dressed for it and the wind is light.

Kayakers have amphibian traits. We live on land and water, and are unable to sever our ties with aquatic habitats. But, we are warm blooded and need gear to survive in some of those habitats.
Paddling in the rain one day, that soulful 70's song by Ann Peebles kept running through my head, "I can't stand the rain, against my window . . . bringing back sweet memories . . .

I must have been feeling what all the people hiding indoors from the rain were thinking, "I can't stand the rain . . . " 

"I can't stand the rain" was written when Ann and her band couldn't get out to a show one night because there was a big thunder storm and it was pouring rain. One of the guys in her band said, "Man! I just can't stand this rain!" And they wrote this soulful song. It was recorded in 1973, and released in 1974.

Lyrics
I can't stand the rain
Against my window
Bringing back sweet memories
Hey window pane
Do you remember
How sweet it used to be
When we were together
Every thing was so grand
Now that we've parted
I just can't stand the rain
Against my window
Bringing back sweet memories
I can't stand the rain
Against my window
Because he's not here with me
Hey window pane
Tell me, do you remember
How sweet it used to be
But like a window, you ain't got nothing to say
Hey rain, get off my window

But let's change some of the words to: "I can't stand the rain . . . bringing back sweet memories . . . of paddling in the rain."

Well hey window pane, let's get out and paddle when it rains!

I like paddling in the rain.

But notice, I did not say kayak camping in the rain, or packing up my gear in the rain! That is true misery and it doesn't bring back any sweet memories.

Rain, rain. Can you stand it?
.
Enjoy singing in the rain. You'll likely have the water to yourself so you can be off key without worry!
The BaffinPaddler

Comments

Popular Posts

Poison Ivy and Your Pet!

One cigarette butt contaminates up to 50 liters of water

The magic of camping and kayaking at Bon Echo Provincial Park, Mazinaw Rock, Ontario, Canada! Get your bug suit on!

Cycling one of America's most beautiful beaches: Fort De Soto Park, Florida

Does my Ironman Tremblant T-shirt make me look fat?