Mountain yogis unite - 5 ways to take your yoga practice outdoors

For my outdoor friends and new visitors to this blog, you may enjoy this article. Some people just can't relate to yoga - I know, it's not easy. It can be confusing and difficult to get into, and to keep up with. It's diverse, challenging, and hopefully rewarding. Sometimes, I question myself. "Why are you doing this? Why do you keep doing this?' Yoga!

The answer is simple: It can be good for you.

I am a member of the mindset of people who believe they can shop around and integrate a yoga practice into their lifestyle. One that suits you. Mine is very flexible. I can take it anywhere. And I do.

My ears often perk up when I listen to the reasons why some people don't like yoga. They tried it once or twice. The things they didn't like are the same things I didn't like. But, I changed my perspective. I decided to explore different forms of yoga, and a variety of teachers and studios. I kept going because, even with the things I didn't like, I was seeing good results. And when I kept going, I kept finding more things I liked or that intrigued me. Along with more and more good results.

Some people just don't like indoor yoga studios.

Indoor yoga studios make some outdoor people cringe and feel uncomfortable and confined.

The good news is, many of us get out of the indoor yoga studios and do yoga in the outdoors year round. Yes, even in winter! It's called Snowga.

You can really take it to the next level, literally! when you trek up a mountain trail. It's a great cardio workout to warm up the body and open up the lungs, then do a little, or a lot of yoga in the great outdoors with beautiful views.

Inspiring outdoor views naturally touch the heart chakra. You can feel it, even if you don't know what that is. It feels good. A warm, happy feeling. So sweet! And hey, the heart chakra, the fourth chakra, is associated with the colour green and the element air.

I have found doing yoga, or even just striking or holding a few of my favourite yoga poses in the outdoors incredibly powerful. Always much more powerful and meaningful than what I ever find inside a yoga studio.

The cool thing is, more and more people are doing yoga and finding creative ways to make it interesting, engaging and fun. It's a great way to connect with all things. I love both indoor yoga studios and all those outdoor yoga spaces we find along our path. Outdoor spaces for practice are infinite and roomy!

My next story is up on the Wanderlust Journal inspired by awesome experiences during the Wanderlust Tremblant yoga festival in Quebec, Canada from August 21-24. If you'd like to have a look, here's the link.

5 ways to take your yoga practice outdoors

Happy trails!
The BaffinPaddler

Comments

Popular Posts

Poison Ivy and Your Pet!

One cigarette butt contaminates up to 50 liters of water

The magic of camping and kayaking at Bon Echo Provincial Park, Mazinaw Rock, Ontario, Canada! Get your bug suit on!

Cycling one of America's most beautiful beaches: Fort De Soto Park, Florida

Does my Ironman Tremblant T-shirt make me look fat?